Thursday, October 19, 2006

She is "THAT Kid"

The smelly kid in class. The chatterbox always in trouble for incessant talking. The bully. The brat. The crier. The kid who bites other kids. There is always "that kid" in some class, somewhere. Everyone knows who you speak of when you say "that kid." You don't want your children to play with her/him. You certainly don't want them to be beaten up, or bitten. My daughter is now "that kid." (aside from being the 'smelly kid'-she always smells amazing!) Allow me to elaborate. I went to workout yesterday afternoon and I take Cameron to the daycare they provide while I burn a few calories. This has been a pretty normal routine we have been in since she was very small. She really enjoys the morning class where there are a lot of other youngsters just a little bit older than her. Yesterday, however, it seemed as though she had never stepped foot in the place and was terrified. She cried when I left the room after I handed her to the lady who has watched her a million times before. There was only a little girl, perhaps around 5 to 7 years old in there. I begin my workout thinking, "great, she's got social anxiety disorder" but after a few minutes I wasn't worried about it...I knew she'd be fine. The song we were working out to ended, and we hear this loud screaming/crying/yelling combination and everyone looks at me (because I was the only person with a child in there, the other girl belonged to the daycare worker). I was a little embarrassed (she's "that kid") but stood proud and walked into the daycare area. Cameron has big tears rolling down her face and is extremely upset. The lady was holding her trying to show her the outside through a window...but Cami was far too upset. She immediately held her hands out to me. So I pick her up and show her some exciting toys on the floor they had to offer...I got a few little smiles out of her so I sat her down on the floor. Then she clinged so tightly to my legs afraid I would leave her again. I tried to distract her with the toys so I could sneak back out to my workout. The lady said "let's give it another try-you go back out there and I'll take care of her and if she's crying really bad, I'll come and find you." Ok. Just moments before she had also informed me "What happened to her? She used to love coming in here and had no problems with you leaving." Embarrassing. Again, "that kid."
After the next workout song, I cringed as I just knew inevitabley that I would hear that crying again through the walls. But I did not. In fact, we made it through the entire workout uninterrupted and I was so very pleased. I walk into the daycare at the end of class and Cameron is on the woman's lap very happy. She said they played and she was "lovey"-she would hug her and kiss her. She even said Cami was extremely lovey with her daughter, Sammie. I was so proud. Then said "She leaned in to give Sammie a kiss, and it turned into a bite...so you need to try and watch that...it hurt Sammie, not to mention her feelings." I apologized, on Cami's behalf, to Sammie (who was a "that kid" too i might add, she was just the MUTE kid in class, you know, the one who doesn't say anything and if you speak to her she hides her face? yep, thats Sammie) and we left to go home. I was just SHOCKED that Cameron bit a little girl. That's so disappointing. When I'd think about and look over at her, this is the image I would see: A sweet little innocent face who just couldn't possibly pull off a stunt like that lady declared she had.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I told her with a straight face, but was laughing on the inside at her orneriness, "do NOT bite other people Cameron. that's so naughty." She was very chatty about her experience and talked all the way home. Here is another snapshot of her in the car, this one she is talking to me.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Anyway, next time you see me, no need to talk or whisper behind my back about "that kid" that's mine. I've put this up here to address it and fix it! And to tell you to be careful, until I have this under control, that my little angel baby may turn a sweet kiss, into a bite. Now THAT is my kid, and "that kid" is just the love of my life!

2 comments:

  1. Well I must say that according to my mom, Eric was a biter when he was little too. Not to mentiin the fact that I was also... SOOO you can definitely blame the "that kid" status that innocent little Cami has attained to her most amzing father's side of the family! (at least we know where she got this from right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I would say I'm suprised that our sweet little Cami would do such a thing then I think back to the trillion times or so she has tried to take a chunk out of my face. I guess all we can hope for is that this is a "stage" and she will soon grow out of it. Oh, and those pics are really really cute. By the looks of things, it looks like she had a lot to say on the car ride home. Maybe she was trying to tell her side of the story. Who know, maybe Sammie provoked her! :)

    ReplyDelete